Box-office Miracle (1977 ): Two Blockbusters/Two SuperHits–One Director(Manmohan Desai)
Bollywood’s dream merchant Late Manmohan Desai was one director who has set of records to his credit. In this section we will discuss only one of such bundle of records.
- Four movies(Amar Akbar Anthiny, Dharamveer, Chacha Bhatija, Parvarish) released in single year directed by one magician – Manmohan Desai.
- He was also producer of one of these movies (Amar Akbar Anthony), which went on to become biggest hit of 1977 and one of all time hits.
- Business range of successful movie in 1977 was 2-3 Crore. But all four movies of this magician collect more than 3 Crore each.
- Amar Akbar Anthony celebrated 9 silver jubilees in Bombay alone. This record still intact and will remain (looking at contemporary trend).
- Total business of these four movies was 23+ Crore (AAA – 9 Crore, Dharamveer – 7 Crore, Parvarish – 4 Crore, Chacha Bhatija – 3.25 Crore) which is approximately 45% of entire business of all bollywood releases in 1977. One man is responsible for 45% business generated by entire industry is biggest share ever.
- Sholay was still running across the country in 1977 when AAA was released, AAA got humongous response at box-office and both movies were competing each other to overtake for next one year. There was speculations among trade pundits that AAA will either be equally successful or even overtake Sholay at box-office. But Sholay box-office run was way beyond any one expectations. Still even sholay wasn’t able to beat 9 simultaneous silver jubilees record of AAA.
- AAA celebrated 100+ silver jubilees and 50+ golden jubilees across the country.
- For entire one year after his second release (Dharamveer) in 1977, at-least two movies of this miracle man was playing at 100+ centers.
- 23 Crore business of these movies was against merely 4.5 Crore investment, this is biggest ROI of any combined directorial efforts.
- Coincidentally Amitabh (AAA, Parvarish) and Dharmendra (Dharamveer, Chacha Bhatija) was main protagonists in two distinct movies. Both ends up having one mega blockbuster and one Superhit in their hands.
- All movies were among top 4 hits of 1977. Means top 4 earners of 1977 were belonged to one man – Manmohan Desai (though one can argue of few movies was in parallel range like Hum Kisi se kum nahi and parvarish earned similar amount and Adalat and Chacha Bhatija was on same page).
- All in all 4 releases in single year, 2 blockbusters, 2 superhits. All top earners. Biggest share of entire collection of all releases in 1977. Highest ROI of any combined directorial venture. Who else on this earth can have this sort of miracle ?