This Week From Past : DARR (1993)
Release Date : December 24, 1993
Darr is a 1993 Bollywood film directed by Yash Chopra. It is the story of an obsessed lover (Shahrukh Khan) and the lengths he goes to get his true love (Juhi Chawla) who’s already married to her husband (Sunny Deol). The film is considered to be one of Shahrukh Khan’s best performances and earned him a Filmfare Award nomination for Best Villain.
Fear that your love may not be reciprocated, fear that you may lose the one you love, fear that your beloved could have a change of heart. In short, fear is the villain in every love story.The valiant Naval officer Sunil Malhotra (Sunny Deol) is to marry the beautiful Kiran Awasthi (Juhi Chawla). The problem, which forms the basis for the film, is that she is being stalked by an obsessed lover Rahul Mehra (Shahrukh Khan), the son of Sunil’s superior in the Navy (Dalip Tahil). When things get unbearable, Sunil takes Kiran for a honeymoon to Switzerland. The holiday plans are kept confidential. When a drunken loser Vikram “Vicky” Oberoi (Annu Kapoor) who had a soft corner for Kiran, dies, Rahul hangs him and spreads out images of Kiran around him, making it seem like the suicide of the obsessed lover. At the news of his death, Kiran’s sister-in-law (Tanvi Azmi) and brother (Anupam Kher) heave a sigh of relief. Meanwhile Rahul has already infiltrated the household and attempted to make friends with them. Upon hearing the news that the stalker is dead, they celebrate and unwittingly it is revealed that Sunil and Kiran are in Switzerland.
Rahul makes his way to Switzerland. While Sunil and Kiran are dancing at a party, Rahul stage-manages bumping ‘accidentally’ into him. Though they are surprised to see him here, they welcome him anyway. Sunil becomes suspicious only when Kiran’s brother reveals on the telephone that Rahul had been frequenting their home in their absence. Sunil baits Rahul and beats him up but in the end Rahul manages to stab Sunil. Rahul runs to the boat and begins to make preparations for his wedding with the terrified Kiran. At the last minute, Sunil staggers on board and manages to shoot Rahul thrice in the abdomen. Rahul dies uttering the name kiran. He says his life begun with name of Kiran & dying in name of Kiran.
- The film was first offered to Ajay Devgan, who declined it outright. Director, Yash Chopra then, offered the lead to Aamir Khan, who demanded changes in the script that the makers were unwilling to make, thus helping Shahrukh Khan to grab the lead role and gradually making him a Yash Raj favorite.
- Sanjay Dutt says in an interview in 1995 he was apart of Darr, due to his jail sentence Yash Chopra had to choose another actor to play the role of Rahul.
- Shahrukh Khan has gone on to make six more films with Yash Raj Films, namely, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Mohabbatein, Veer Zaara, Chak De India and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi.
- Darr is also Shahrukh Khan’s second film as a villain after his performance in Baazigar which was released earlier that same year. He then followed up Darr with another negative role the following year in Anjaam which saw Shahrukh finally win the Filmfare Award for Best Villain.
- Ang se ang lagana
- Jaadu teri nazar love song Your eyes are like magic
- Tu mere saamne
- Darwaja Band karlo
- Meri maa ne laga diye
- Likha hai ye in hawaaon mei
The film received three nominations at the Filmfare Awards for Best Director, Best Villain and Best Comedian but ultimately won one. The film also won a National Film Award
- Best Comedian – Anupam Kher
- Filmfare Best Cinematographer Award – Manmohan Singh
- National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment
Darr was opened to bumper response at boxoffice at the time of release (1993) and also trended very well. In North India Sapna, Delhi celebrated Combined Silver Jubilee (Week adjusted with Satyam cinema as well) of Darr. It cllected around approx. 8 Crore at the time of release which if adjusted for 2009 will be approx. 38 Crore.
Verdict : HIT