Missed Box-office Targets This Decade
Let’s figure out some best movies of this decade which somehow missed at box-office. Interesting aspect of this list is that these movies can easily be considered as best movies of associated artistes like SRK(Swades), Ajay Devgan (TLOBS), Amitabh (Khakee, Nishabd), Neil (Johny Gaddar), Urmila (Rk Hasina Thi), Saif (Omakara). Same we can say about directors. RKS(Khakee), Sri ram raghavan(EHT, Johny Gaddar), RGV (Nishabd), Ashutosh ( Swadesh). This is amazing to see how best efforts of this became dud at box-office.
- The Legend Of Bhagat Singh : If I need to chose top three best movies of this decade then without any shreds of doubt and conflicts “The Legend Of Bhagat Singh” will be one of them. This is best movie of all creative persons associated with movie, from director Raj Kumar Santoshi to actor Ajay Devgan to character artiste Sushant, everyone is proud to be part of this project. There was as much as 5 simultaneous releases based on Bhagat singh, TLOBS and Shaheed starring Bobby Deol and Sunny Deol released on same day. Despite being best critically acclaimed movie, TLOBS box-office collections(7 Crore) were lower than Shaheed(10 Crore). This movie was victim of disinterest arouse due to simultaneous releases of same topic. Ajay Devgan got best actor National award for this movie. I visit this movie for around 10 times every year and counting is still ON. Do I need to elaborate more about my passion for this one.
- Swadesh : Ashutosh after Super success of Lagaan , There was much hype around this mega budget(25 crore) movie . Ashutosh name became synonym of class after Lagaan, Loaded with super-hit Music, combined with boxoffice king Shahrukh Khan, this movie was considered sure shot winner before release. But to utter shock movie was non opener at box-office and destined to become huge flop (17 crore NETT). But Shock was BIG because It was one of best movies to come out in that time. In-fact if I say it is way better than many super hit movies around, will not be a tall claim. As of now decade is close to end and no Shahrukh movie is going to release in this year, I can safely say this is Best Shahrukh movie in this decade (which is unfortunate FLOP). Shahrukh was in career best role in Swadesh. Movie was deserved to be Big Success which is missed due to unknown reasons ( many claims due to Offbeat theme, but in multiplex era and with multiplex king, failure of this movie is not understandable)
- Khakee : Don’t know how Raj Kumar Santoshi will take this list(considering his two movies are in top three) ? Either one can proud to part of this list or take it otherwise (box-office point of view). First thing first, Khakee was not box-office failure, But it was neither Clean HIT. Khakee was based on Indian cop and their modus operandi.It also face similar circumstances like TLOBS. Khakee face competition from several other movies based on similar topic in 2003 (Like AAN, Ab Tak Chappan etc). But just like TLOBS , Khakee was clear winner here in terms of content. Khakee will always be considered as best cop movie in bollywood. Amitabh bachchan in Khakee was in TOP form, This was Amitabh movie all the way. Ajay Devgan plays first time complete negative character (Deewangee was grey shades) and got accolades. Akshay was first time recognized as accomplished actor from this movie. He was first rate and his death scene will remain one of best death scenes in Bollywood. This movie was above average at box-office (27 Crore NETT) but deserved much better fate.
- Nishabd : This will not be tall claim if I say this is most controversial movie of decade. Love story of ODD age couple, refined version of Lolita. This is arguably the best movie from Ram Gopal verma this decade. I can divide audience of this movie into three categories : First, who take this movie as unacceptable truth exist in this world and enjoy the brilliance cinematic liberties of escapist cinema, Second, who didn’t able to buy the story at first visit but looking around world some similar cases, with time they understand the explicit emotions and defied logic behind this brilliant piece and able to give this movie the due credit after their own logical development. Third, who explicitly don’t want to buy this breaking rules of society and don’t wanna give this movie a chance. These are some pseudo responsible citizens of India who can raise voice over any innocent human error committed(Like why Amitabh say he want Grandson, why not Granddaughter), but will never appear when they supposed to (26/11 attacks). Well coming to Nishabd, this was again arguably best movie of year(2007) for every person associated (Amitabh, Ram Gopal verma, Jia Khan). And for me arguably was the best deserving candidate for some awards (specially best actor should have been given to Mr. Bachchan, now given that it was not even nominated, this defines all credentials of Indian award system)
- Ek Hasina Thi : I can rank EK HASINA THI as one of the best thrillers ever made. If I say Bollywood has dearth of excellent thrillers will not be over-complaint. Bollywood has exceeded its limit of love stories and Family dramas but underdeveloped in Thriller and Spy genre. Raghavan is one such talanted Director and Script writer who is contributing his best efforts to bollywood in this genre, Ek hasina Thi and Johny Gaddar was his first installments in thriller genre, Agent Vinod be next in Spy genre. Thanks Sriram Raghvan for your valuable and highly appreciable contribution. Again this movie is best movie for associated artiste (Saif and Urmila), However Urmila has given some other top notch performances as well but this one is easily the best in my books (given the fact it was psychological revenge thriller and Urmila excels in it). If saif character as Langra Tyaagi in Omakara was Evil then this character (karan) is heights of evil senses any human can have. Sadly movie was not a success at box-office for which it was highly deserved.
- Johny Gaddar : After Raj kumar santoshi, Raghavan is second director whose two movie are listed here. Interestingly both belongs to same genre i.e. crime thriller. This is mind blowing thriller where killer reveals at first instance itself, but thrill lies in suspense that who will ultimately kill the killer. Execution of movie was tribute to 70’s thriller movies. There is reference of Parwana(1971) movie in the narration. I have visited this movie at 10 different times now and can easily cast it best tribute to 70’s cinema (OSO, AAG and others were just nonsense in front of this). In-fact screenplay and technical aspects of this movie are best material to be studied. This is true comeback of Dharmendra in small role. It was so refreshing and stunning to see Dharam paji in his real sense for which he always remember. Neil’s debut movie and simply his best performance to-date. Why this movie fails at box-office ? This is still a mystery ? Even strong WOM couldn’t help to save this movie. It was only 5 Crore earner at box-office.
- Omkara : Shakespeare’s stories and characters have always transcended the times. His Othello (The Tragedy of Othello, the Moor of Venice), set against the backdrop of the late 16th century battles between Venice and Turkey, is considered one of his best tragedies. Vishal Bharadwaj’s adaptation does a good job of showing how Iago’s wanton evil schemes slowly poison and ultimately bring total destruction to Othello. the engaging nature of the adapted storyline coupled with well-replicated characters (Othello : Omkara / Ajay Devgan, Desdemona : Dolly / Kareena Kapoor, Iago : Langda / Saif Ali Khan, Cassio : Kesu / Vivek Oberoi, Bianca : Billo / Bipasha Basu, Emilia : Indu / Konkana Sen etc), powerful casting and acting (especially by Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor), explicit attention to drama and production values (especially music by Vishal himself,lyrics by Gulzar, and vocals by Sunidhi, and cinematography by Tasaduq Hussain) make it a outstanding and refreshing effort (towards serious cinema, away from the rehashing of boy-meets-girl themes), which went wrong at box-office. Omakara Grossed 27 crore at box-office and was Below Average.
Nonetheless, there are some other movies too which were much deserved candidates for boxoffice success, few are Mumbai meri jaan, Aamir, London dreams, All The Best, Luck By Chance etc. who deserved much better fate.